Concealed Firearms Permits-Frequently Asked Questions

***Effective 07/01/2021 the State of Wyoming now allows any U.S. resident that is legally allowed to possess firearms to carry concealed in the State without a concealed firearms permit***

1. What are the qualifications for obtaining a concealed firearm permit?

Any Wyoming resident who has satisfied the requirements of Wyo.Stat. § 6-8-104 (b) (c) and (g), may obtain a permit.

2. How do I apply for a permit?

Application forms may be obtained at any Wyoming sheriff's office and they are also available online (Main CFP webpage). Upon completion, the application MUST be submitted to the sheriff's office in your Wyoming county of residence. For specific instructions, please contact your local sheriff's office.

3. How much does a permit cost?

A new application fee for a Wyoming permit is $64 payable to DCI in a money order or cashier's check only. The sheriff's office may charge a separate fee for processing and fingerprinting so please check with them before applying.

4. How long is the permit valid?

Five (5) years from the date of issue.

5. Where is my permit not valid for purposes of carrying a concealed firearm?

No permit issued pursuant to Wyoming law or any permit issued from any other state shall authorize any person to carry a concealed firearm into:

o Any facility used primarily for law enforcement operations or administration without the written consent of the chief administrator;

o Any detention facility, prison or jail;

o Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section shall preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in the courtroom;

o Any meeting of a governmental entity;

o Any meeting of the legislature or a committee thereof;

o Any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms;

o Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic liquor and malt beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose;

o Any elementary or secondary school facility;

o Any college or university facility without the written consent of the security service of the college or university; or

o Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law or regulation or state law.

6. How long does it take to obtain a permit?

Approximately 90 days.

7. Can my permit be revoked?

Yes. A permit shall be revoked if the permittee becomes ineligible to be issued a permit under Wyo.Stat. § 6-8-104, or for any conviction of any offense involving a controlled substance, alcohol abuse while carrying a concealed weapon or any crime of violence or a plea of no contest to any of these crimes.

8. What states recognize Wyoming concealed firearms permits?

State firearms laws and agreements are subject to frequent change and court interpretations. Persons should always verify their permit status before traveling to another state. Most of these states have web pages dedicated to this subject.

Wyoming has reciprocity with the following states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

When traveling to a state on this list, you will need to check that state's website for any special provisions to the reciprocity agreement.

9. If I am from out of state, is my concealed firearms permit recognized in Wyoming?

The Wyoming concealed firearm permit statute provides that Wyoming will honor permits from other states, and issue Wyoming permits to holders of permits from other states, if:

1. the other state recognizes Wyoming permits; and

2. the permit from the other state is valid statewide.

Under current law if you are a permit holder from another state, if your permit is valid statewide, and your state recognizes (or honors) Wyoming permits, you can carry a concealed firearm in Wyoming. The current statute has resulted in a formal confirmation process with other states. Once the Division confirms which other states’ permit Wyoming honors or has reciprocity, those states are listed for convenience only. However, this listing has no legal effect. See #8 for States recognized. If your State is not presently listed, you may also check with your own state’s regulatory agency.

10. Can a non-resident obtain a concealed firearm permit in Wyoming?


11. If I move to another state is my Wyoming permit still valid in Wyoming?

Yes, so long as the division has received written notification of your address change within 30 days of your move. Once your permit expires it will not be renewed since a permit can only be issued to a Wyoming resident.

12. Is my permit valid in national parks in Wyoming?

Federal rule changes give gun owners permission to carry concealed firearms in national parks, as long as their concealed firearms permit is recognized by the state in which the park is located. Issues pertaining to firearms on federal property, particularly in federal buildings or facilities, are subject to federal law and regulations. A person should always contact the appropriate federal authority when his travel plans involve federal properties.

13. Does my permit allow me to carry any concealed weapon other than a firearm?

No. The permit only encompasses the carrying of a concealed handgun.

14. Does my Wyoming permit allow me to purchase a firearm from a federal firearms licensee, without having to obtain a federal background check?

Yes. The Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms has determined that Wyoming permits satisfy the requirements of federal law, in lieu of the purchaser having to undergo the instant check process for a firearms purchase.

15. What if my permit is lost or destroyed?

Pursuant to Wyo.Stat. § 6-8-104 (p), the permit shall be automatically invalid, and the person to whom the same was issued may pay a $5 fee, for a duplicate, upon furnishing a notarized statement to the division that the permit has been lost or destroyed. You may click here to obtain a Duplicate Permit Application.

16. When can I apply for a renewal of my permit?

You may apply for a renewal six months before your expiration date, but no earlier than that.

Renewals are considered late after the permit expiration date. You can only apply for a later renewal up to 6 months after the expiration date. After that a new application and fees are required.

The fees are: $45 (Renewal application before expiration date) and $55 (Late renewal after the expiration date)

*We do NOT send renewal notices when your permit is going to expire*

Click here to check the real-time status of your application or renewal.

17. If I change my address, will I be issued a new permit?


18. If you are active duty military from the state of Wyoming, and are currently stationed out of state, can you apply for a Wyoming CFP?

Yes, by clicking here.